Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday Night Football!

Last night Brody went to his first football game! My mom and I took him to a Lafayette football game. Our intentions were to watch the first half of the game, see the band at halftime and then leave. It has been several years since I have seen the band, and we know a couple of kids in it this year. So, we got dressed in warmer clothes and headed out to my high school alma mater. Ryan and my Dad did not go. Dad said he put in enough hours of watching bands, he wasn't interested. Ryan really didn't want to go to a high school football game, and listening to marching bands is not one of his favorite pasttimes.


Walking over to the field from the band parking lot holding Brody's hand, he pointed out all kinds of neat things: the lights, the school buses, the whistles blowing, the announcer over the loud speaker. He enjoyed all of the new sights and sounds. It was such a strange feeling, walking to the stadium holding my son's hand. I spent countless Friday nights at that stadium during my high school years. It's kind of weird going back to where you grew up with your own child. We got him a popcorn (very good idea!) and sat down in the bleachers.


Brody loved the football game! He loved clapping for the team, saying "Go Generals," although it didn't quite sound like Generals, more like "Jenny-Rolls." The cheerleaders were right in front of us, doing the same cheers as 10 years ago. Brody tried to jump in with the L-A-FAYET-T-E Lafayette! cheer. It was pretty cute. He mainly got out a lot of T's and E's!


At halftime, it was the band's time to perform. He was very interested in what they were doing. His face was so cute. He was in awe. He LOVED the music and the flags and the drums. Those were his favorites. For me, it was so neat to watch the band again. I found myself tearing up, remembering all of my days in the band. At the time, I might have not liked it and wished I didn't have to go to practice every day and take private lessons. But, looking back, it was a huge part of my high school experience. I had a blast.


So, overall, our Friday night at Ishmael Stadium was so much fun! Brody loved every bit of it. He has grown up so much lately. He is talking soo much, says so many new things every day. He talks in sentences galore, and pretty much won't shut up the whole day. Brody is no longer my baby, but a little boy. It's sad to think that my little baby is now a walking-talking-opinionated-capable-smart-funny 2-year old boy! I can't help but to look forward to Brody's school days and all of the activities he will participate in. Ryan and I will be at every single event, cheering him on as my parents always did for me.




1 comment:

Rachel Julius.... said...

Awwwwww it makes me want to take Greta to my old highschool games! Sounds like so much fun - perhaps next year...maybe she'll drink from a sippy cup by then - ha ha